Chester Eastside, Inc. Executive Director Job Description
Mission: Chester Eastside is a welcoming and inclusive community that enables individuals of all ages to achieve their goalsand aspirations, and that promotes a just and peaceful coexistence in Chester through advocacy and programs for education, social services, and justice.
Founded in 1985, Chester Eastside is a 501(c)(3) organization that faithfully serves the community of Chester, Pennsylvania. It strives to create an environment that supports those whose lives are tested each day by challenges of poverty. The agency focuses on boththe city’s present and future. At the core of the organization is a food service program that provides nearly 100,000 meals a year to community residents. In addition to addressing food insecurity, Chester Eastside provides an evidence-based afterschool program that provides homework assistance and mentoring for children in grades 1-8.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibilityfor executing Chester Eastside’s mission. The Executive Director represents the organization to the public, leads organizational development and strategic planning, optimizes financial performance, oversees program delivery, builds donor relationships, and manages staff.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
Program Planning and Operations Management
- Oversee the daily operations of the organization, providing executive direction for program strategy and efficiency.
- Ensure that Chester Eastside operates in compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Ensure that the programs and services offered contribute to the organization’s
mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
- Monitor and track program outcomes.
- Engage with the community in shaping and participating in the programs and goals of the organization.
- Work closely with the Board, providing regular program updates, assessing, and addressing issues that affect Chester Eastside, and disseminating information between staff and the Board.
- Prepare annual operating budget and present it to the Board for approval.
- Operate within the approved budget, ensure maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Develop and maintain processes for proper recordkeeping and financial controls.
- Supervise the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with organizationand Board required reporting needs, including monthly statements showing budget-to-actual income and expenses, monthly balance sheets and monthly statement of cash flow.
Development and Fundraising
- In partnership with the Board, research funding sources; and oversee the development of actionable fundraising plans that secure support from foundations, corporations, individuals, and government funding sources.
- Supervise grants management, including research, submission, acknowledgment, tracking and reporting.
- Assure timely and accurate database management of donors and prospects, and gift acknowledgments.
- Develop, lead and/or oversee key fundraising activities.
- Serve as public facing representative of Chester Eastside and ensure that the mission, programs, and services are presented in a strong positive image.
- Create and execute strategies to educate the public about the organization.
- Supervise production and distribution of all promotional materials, the maintenance of the organization’s website, and other social media platforms.
- Pursue, maintain, and build constructive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, organizations, and key stakeholders.
- Promote the organization by attending relevant community events.
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Identify and implement staffing requirements to ensure efficient operations.
- Recruit, select, and retain staff and volunteers that have the skills and abilities to help further the organization’s mission.
- Document and communicate job responsibilities and expectations, regularly evaluate staff, and provide on-going support and coaching to staff.
- Comply with all employment regulations.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Management, or related field.
- A minimum of seven years of leadership experience at a non-profit serving youth and/or addressing food insecurity.
- Strong non-profit financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Understanding of the issues confronting the city of Chester, Pennsylvania.
- Proven ability to shape and execute an organization’s strategy and successfully expand reach and impact in partnership with an engaged board of directors.
- Fundraising and excellent donor relationship skills.
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and flexible work arrangements will be considered. Allinterested applicants should send their resume and salary requirements to Recruiter@ceichester.org