Over 1% of Chester’s population have been reported with COVID-19. Although Chester City reports the 4th highest number of COVID-19 cases in the county, they are in 18th place in terms of percentage of population.
Chester clocks in at 1.03% of its population reported with COVID-19 since the outbreak hit (33,909 people X 1.03% = 349 cases).
Number of Cases
Chester’s 349 cases ranks 4th behind Yeadon, Marple and Upper Darby. If Chester had the same percentage of population with COVID-19 as Yeadon, it would have 1,078 cases.
Number of Deaths
Chester’s 14 deaths rank 6th in the county.
Percent of Deaths to COVID-19 cases
Middletown shows 25% of their population that gets COVID-19 dies versus just 4% for Chester. Others over 10% are Media, Middletown, Nether Providence, and Marple; all towns with large numbers of nursing home patients. If Chester had the same percentage of deaths as Middletown, it would have 87 deaths.
After a couple months of data gatherings in Delaware County, there are municipalities doing a lot worse than Chester. For now, Chester is 4th in number of cases, 18th in % of population, and even though there’s been 14 deaths, it’s still among the county’s lowest percent of deaths (4%) of municipalities with 10 or more deaths.
Beware, Chester’s curve is still rising rapidly where other municipalities that got off to a fast start have leveled off. That phenomenon has everything to do with availability of tests which is just starting in Chester and will likely increase the case count steadily for the next month or so.
Stay Home. Stay Safe!
Municipality | % of population with COVID-19 | # of cases | # of deaths | % of deaths
- Yeadon 3.18% 365 cases. 34 deaths (9%)
- Media 2.69% 144 cases. 23 deaths (16%)
- Colwyn 2.63% 67 cases.
- Darby 2.59% 277 cases. 26 deaths. (9%)
- Middletown 2.52% 401 cases. 101 deaths. (25%)
- Sharon Hill 1.64% 93 cases.
- Nether Providence 1.53% 211 cases. 34 deaths. (16%)
- East Lansdowne 1.45% 39 cases.
- Concord 1.43% 251 cases.
- Chester Township 1.39% 57 cases.
- Marple 1.38% 328 cases. 76 deaths. (23%)
- Prospect Park 1.37% 89 cases.
- Alden 1.3% 54 cases.
- Folcroft 1.25% 83 cases.
- Collingdale 1.24%. 109 cases.
- Lansdowne 1.17% 124 cases.
- Upper Darby 1.13% 936 cases. 23 deaths. (2%)
- Chester 1.03% 349 cases. 14 deaths (4%)