Our friend Mike Ewall is hiring. Check out this position with Energy Justice Network.
Chester, Pennsylvania is known as one of the nation’s worst cases of environmental racism and is where waste from throughout the region is burned. Waste incineration is the most expensive way to manage waste, polluting our environment more than landfills. Waste incineration also is the most expensive way to make energy, dirtier than coal burning. Communities of color, like Chester, are disproportionately effected.
We’re hiring a full-time organizer to be based in Philadelphia or Delaware County to address the environmental injustices in the region.
The organizer is expected to demonstrate outstanding initiative and leadership skills. They will build community and local political support for our local initiatives in Chester City, Delaware County, and Philadelphia. This includes a variety of activities including representing Energy Justice Network with local leaders, organizational allies and the general public, public speaking, social media outreach, and assisting with research, messaging, and more.
• At least three years of successful experience in campaign coordination and/or community organizing with a community-based organization, a people’s movement organization, environmental justice organization, or environmental organization.
• Proven track record in uniting diverse opinions and teams around a common agenda and plan.
• Strong writing and public speaking skills, with an ability to simplify messages and communicate complex issues to the public.
• Social media outreach.
• Excellent networking skills.
• High computer literacy (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, email filters).
• Attention to detail.
• Strategic thinker, systematic and goal-oriented.
• Strong inter-personal communication and listening skills.
• Work well in a team and independently.
• Self-motived with lots of initiative.
• Has a car and valid driver’s license.
• A commitment to Energy Justice Network’s mission and core values, including a passion for environmental justice and grassroots social change.
• Already networked into the African-American community in Chester and/or Philadelphia, or has experience organizing in African-American communities, elsewhere.
• Experience with anti-oppression trainings, or experience organizing in multi-cultural and diverse settings.
• Familiarity with environmental justice principles and practices, and working with front line communities and grassroots groups.
• Experience with waste, pollution, and climate issues.
• Facilitation skills.
LOCATION: Must be located in or near the City of Philadelphia or Delaware County, Pennsylvania, USA.
COMPENSATION: Full time. Pays above a living wage for the region.
QUESTIONS: Contact Mike Ewall at 215-436-9511 or email@example.com
TO APPLY: Please send your resume, cover letter, and at least three references, to apply [at] energyjustice dot net, with a subject line of “PHILLY/CHESTER ORGANIZER”
This position will be open until filled.