It was only last week that I added a ‘Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings’ song to the set list for my Internet radio show. I normally only introduce the name of the artist, song, and CD before and after playing the song, but for Sharon Jones I included some mention that I never understood why she hadn’t gone mainstream.
I was sad to see when I woke up that the 60 year old Sharon Jones passed away from cancer.
A real voice, with real songs, with a real band who played real instruments. I’ve seen her live performances on TV and always hoped to see her on stage.
My pal, Ben Maynard, turned me on to ‘Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings’ about a dozen years ago after seeing them in concert. For a young white guy, Ben knows good music. He was also the first to tell me Alicia Keys would be a huge star the instant he heard her first album. All I could say to him was, ‘Who?’
In tribute to Sharon Jones, I’m posting the set list to my show, BEAUTIFUL NEW BLACK MUSIC vol 3, which aired on Friday, November 11, 2016.
- Tina Taught Me – Solange – A Seat at the Table
- My Blackness – Gary Taylor – Retro Blackness (2006)
- What’s Yo Phone Number – Erykah Badu – But You Caint Use My Phone
- Anthony Hamilton – I Want You – What I’m Feelin’
- LION BABE – Wonder Woman – Begin
- Jacob Latimore – Remember Me – Remember Me
- Corinne Bailey Rae – Green Aphrodisiac – The Heart Speaks in Whispers (Deluxe)
- Bruno Mars – Versace On The Floor – 24K Magic
- Tinashe – Touch Pass – Nightride
- Kevin Whalum – I’m In Love – One Life to Love (2008)
- Jeanette Harris – Alright – Chocolate Vibez
- Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings – Slow Down, Love – Miss Sharon Jones!
- Keith Sweat – Good Love – Dress to Impress
- Kindred the Family Soul – All My People – Legacy of Love
- Jeff Bradshaw – Love (feat. Kim Burrell) – Home: One Special Night At the Kimmel Center
You can listen to future shows by downloading the iPhone or Android app BestCoreRadio V2. I’m on from 9 to 10 pm on Fridays.
The life of Sharon Jones from BBC.com