‘One Day in Chester’ is a celebration of the arts! Chester’s One Day arts festival features a variety of delicious treats, live music, art exhibits, dancers, crafts, spoken word, workshops, face painting and kids’ activities, and more on Saturday, August 27, 2016
11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the 500 Block of Avenue of the States, Chester, PA.
Food and Craft Vendors
500-Block Parking Lot & Surrounding Sidewalks
- Chef Lamont’s American Specialties (American cuisine)
- Irie Jamaican Restaurant (Caribbean & Jamaican cuisine)
- Gumbo Yaya (Cajun & Southern cuisine)
- Ruth Bennett Community Farm’s Urban Garden
- Big Var Water Ice
- Aunt Val’s Lemonade
- ButcherShop Rehab (furniture)
- Search + Rescue (vintage design shop)
- C-Me Image (branding & apparel)
- Taryn’s Tye Dye (tye-dye apparel)
- Be Shaded Co. (sunglasses & eyewear)
- Beauty Beast Shea Butter (all natural soap & body products)
- Body Beads by Chardae Davis (body beads, perfect for dance)
- Kids’ Arts & Crafts Tables (weather permitting) *
- Facepainting & Collage (weather permitting) *
- Jean Therapy Music (music & entertainment)
- DJ Mr.X (music)
M.J. Freed Theater
515 Avenue of the States
- All-Day Exhibits
- The Nia Center
- The Yes Center’s Heritage Place Museum, Library, & Repository
- The Chester Historical Preservation Committee
- Maxie’s Vintage — Vintage Clothing, Costumes, & Collectables
- Precious Seeds Youth Journal by Samuel Geathers
- 11:00–11:30 Hedgerow Theatre (theater) *
- 11:30–12:00 The Embodiment Project & Jessica Warchal-King (dance)
- 12:00–12:30 UTTA Community Arts Program (dance) *
Description: Heart-touching and fun dance pieces performed by UTTA dancers.
- 12:30–1:00 Hedgerow Theatre (theater) *
- 1:00–1:30 “Taking Leave” by Patricia Brooks Eldridge (starring Maurice Eldridge) (theater)
Description: “Taking Leave” is a one-act play in which a slave bids his ailing ‘master’ goodbye before taking off along with all the other slaves on the plantation. They have empowered themselves!
- 1:45–2:15 Committed Vessel United Dance Ministries (gospel dance) *
- 2:15–2:30 Tiana Reese & Jasmine Norman (praise dance)
- 2:30–2:45 Abundance Center for the Performing Arts (theater & dance)
Description: Abundance Center for the Performing Arts is dedicated to bringing quality and affordable performing arts instruction. The center offers classes in dance, music, vocals, and drama. It is our plan to spread the words that the Performing Arts in Chester is a fun, educational, and exciting way to spend time. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- 2:45–3:15 Be an Animal! with Jeannine McKnight (interactive theater & dance workshop) *
Description: Kids, and adults, too, will learn to call on animal energy and spirit to shape performance. Will you be a tail-wagging dog, a purring cat, a slithering snake, a soaring bird, or something else? You can apply animal energy to acting, dance, and life!
- 3:15–3:30 Rickia Dallam (ballet)
513 Avenue of the States
- All-Day Exhibits
- Photographs by Jano Cohen: Deshong Mansion, Wharf, Must Fight Gym
- Paintings by SurfaceSavvy
- Paintings by Andrea P. Simmons
- Flowers of the Ancestors Paintings (Ayah) & Sculptures (Mo) by Misty Sol
- Figments at the End of the World by Misty Sol
- East Gateway Triangle Initiative & Artist Warehouse present
- The Art Spot: Summer Camp Art Exhibit (Teacher Marcey Morris)
- 11:00–12:00 SurfaceSavvy Painting Workshop/Demo
- 1:30–2:45 Community Arts Center’s “Play with Clay!” Sculpture Workshop *
Description: Play with Clay! Facilitated by artists from the Community Arts Center
- 3:30–4:30 CREATE Entrepreneurial Artist Workshop
Description: The CREATE program is for artists and creative economy entrepreneurs in the city of Chester, Delaware County, and West Philadelphia. We offer small loans/lines of credit (up to $5,000), along with training and one-on-one business counseling. The CREATE (Championing Revival, Empowering Artists, Transforming Economies) pilot program uses the arts to promote economic revitalization in these communities. There is a grant component tied to the loan program.
Chester Arts Alive @ André Café Acoustique
5th Street & Edgmont Avenue
- 11:30–12:00 Logan Jones (singing & piano) *
- 12:00–12:30 Allison DeSalvo’s World of Song *
Description: “Circle-Song Sing-A-Long” of music games, rhythms, and stories through play (Bobby McFerrin style) for the whole family.
- 12:30–1:30 Stephanie Walker-Pe’rez (poetry & piano)
Description: Stephanie Walker-Pe’rez is an inspirational author, children’s book author, inspirational speaker in churches, songwriter, and teacher (classical)
- 1:30–2:00 Author Tara Jones (spoken word)
- 2:00–2:30 Que Dorsey (spoken word)
- 2:30–3:00 Jase Elam (spoken word)
- 3:00–3:30 Logan Jones (singing & piano; second performance) *
- 3:30–4:30 Paul Trefz & Misty Sol (interactive workshop with singing & storytelling) *
- 4:30–5:00 Lakesha Logan (singer)
- 5:00–6:30 Reneth Marie Servrien (jazz singer)
Art at Avenue of the States
504 Avenue of the States
Gallery: “Your Summer Fantasy” art show and sale, all day
Special Note: Art at Avenue of the States is open Wed–Fri, 11-3, & most Saturdays and is an artist-owned gallery that is open to all artists to participate. The gallery holds about 6 shows and opening receptions per year, including its annual Student Art Show, and hosts open and private “Painting Parties.” In addition, Art at Avenue of the States has a gallery at Harrah’s Casino in Chester and teaches art classes at Crozer Library.
2:00–5:00 Chester Magazine Reception—refreshments & free magazines
Future Avenue Brew
524 Avenue of the States
1:00–5:00 Chester Made invites the audience to an interactive workshop:
Chester Made Makerspace “Open For Construction”
We will build a bench and a planter under the guidance of professional artists.
Build times: 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. Discussion times: 2:00 and 4:00 p.m.